Call Us Today!


Do I Qualify for a VA Ratings Increase?

va ratings increase with increasing stack of dollar bills
Home » VA Benefits » VA Disability Claims » Do I Qualify for a VA Ratings Increase?

Table of Contents

If you are already receiving compensation for a service-connected disability, and that disability has worsened, you may be eligible for a higher rating. Increasing your rating may increase the amount and type of compensation benefits that you receive from the VA.

How do I know if I qualify?

If your symptoms are worse or your ability to function has decreased, you should file for an increased rating. If granted, then the back payment will most often go to the date you applied. Therefore, it is to your advantage to apply as soon as you think you should have a higher rating. To see if you might be eligible, you can look at the criteria in the rating schedule for the next higher rating available for your condition. The ratings decision you received from the VA likely did not contain the rating code sheet (but if you had an attorney their copy will have that sheet) but you can still use the schedule. If your condition is not specifically listed, you can find the closest condition or call the VA and ask what diagnostic code(s) you are rated under.

How do I apply for a VA rating increase?

You need to file for an increase in your VA rating in writing. You can use the VA application form 526 and indicate that your condition is worse and that you want a higher rating. You should send your request to the VA Regional Office in your state. You can also make a request in person at your VA treatment facility.

What is the process like?

The process to evaluate a veteran for an increased rating is the same as for an initial claim for service connected compensation. You may attend a C&P exam. Eventually you will receive a ratings decision that either finds you are not eligible for an increase or will assign a new rating.

What if my claim for a VA rating increase is denied?

If you believe that you should be granted a higher rating, you should file an appeal. If you have not already talked with an attorney, this would be a good time to speak with someone about your claim. An attorney can review your claims folder and talk with you about whether or not you may qualify for the increased rating and what steps you should take to improve your case while the appeal is being worked on by the VA.

Use our free case evaluation and we will review your claim and discuss your appeal options with you. Or give us a call at 888-966-6566.

Related Posts

Supplemental Security Income

What Is SSI?

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a safety net for certain individuals with low income and little assets. SSI provides money so these people can meet

Newsletter Signup

Share this Information


Newsletter Signup

Table of Contents

Established in 2011, Lunn & Forro, PLLC, is a client-focused firm recognized for excellence in providing top-level legal services. We assist the sick, injured and disabled in obtaining the benefits that they are entitled to receive.

*Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes because each case is unique and must be evaluated separately.

DISCLAIMER: The content on this site is not offered as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship and you should not rely upon it as a source of legal advice.

Privacy Policy

Ⓒ 2011-2023 - All Rights Are Reserved

Scroll to Top
Call Now Button