What type of discharge do I need to qualify for Veterans benefits?

veterans honorable discharge

The military’s has 5 main classifications of discharge:

  • Honorable discharge
  • Discharge under honorable conditions or a general discharge
  • Discharge under other than honorable conditions or undesirable discharge
  • Bad conduct discharge
  • Dishonorable discharge or dismissal

In order to be eligible to receive benefits from the VA, your discharge must be “other than dishonorable”. If you have an honorable discharge, a discharge under honorable conditions or a general discharge then you will most likely qualify. If you have any other type of discharge it is unlikely, but not impossible that you will qualify. The only discharge that fully bars you from getting benefits is a dishonorable discharge. Many Veterans file an application to have their discharge upgraded prior to filing for VA benefits. Although our office does not handle military discharge upgrade cases, contact us and we will be happy to provide you with a referral to a firm that may be able to assist you.

Related Posts

Share this Information


Established in 2011, Lunn & Forro, PLLC, is a client-focused firm recognized for excellence in providing top-level legal services. We assist the sick, injured and disabled in obtaining the benefits that they are entitled to receive.

*Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes because each case is unique and must be evaluated separately.

DISCLAIMER: The content on this site is not offered as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship and you should not rely upon it as a source of legal advice.

Ⓒ 2021 - All Rights Are Reserved

Call Now Button